PTP Manufacturing cares as much about the quality and precision of your CNC manufactured parts as you do. For this reason, we utilize the Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) for many of our customer’s critical components. We offer a flexible approach to our plastic machining customers. They may choose the level of testing and documentation that best meets their needs and budget.
As in all aspects of our customer relationships, we realize that each customer and many times each part has it’s own requirements. Therefore we do not try and fit everyone in the same box but instead offer custom solutions, including which of the 18 steps below they wish to implement.
The Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) is a well-known procedure in the industry that helps deliver quality and dependable parts to our customers. This process is used for new or modified parts, or parts created using new methods. The primary purpose is to make sure that we have a complete understanding of your specifications.
Why may you, as a customer, need PPAP?
PTP Machining uses PPAP so that you can count on the products you receive from us. We want you to be confident that your parts are reliable and meet the exact specifications you need. Throughout the 18 steps of PPAP, we will thoroughly analyze and test your parts each step of the way, using the best methods available. The result is a product you can use with confidence. PPAP also shortens lead time since you will receive the correct part the first time.
These steps are also flexible and can be altered to suit your needs. Not every step of the PPAP may be required. Your budget and specific needs will dictate which elements of the PPAP we use. PTP machining will communicate with you continuously throughout the process. In the end you will receive the exact part you envisioned for your project, and you can know that it is quality and dependable.
There are 18 parts to a PPAP:
1. Design Documentation – drawings from both the client and the supplier.
2. Engineering Change Documentation – description of any changes, if applicable.
3. Customer Engineering Approval – a test product is created for approval by the customer.
4. Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (DFMEA) – anticipates and mitigates any potential failures of the product.
5. Process Flow Diagram – a visual representation of the entire manufacturing process.
6. Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (PFMEA) – anticipates and mitigates potential failures in the production process.
7. Control Plan – a result of the DFMEA, dictates what inspection methods will be used for quality control.
8. Measurement System Analysis Studies – shows how any measurement tools used in the manufacturing process will be calibrated.
9. Dimensional Results – includes a measurement of every dimension of the product
10. Records of Material/Performance Tests – results of all tests performed on the product, which will include a Design Verification Plan and Report (DVP&R).
11. Initial Process Studies – shows that any variance in critical processes are stable.
12. Qualified Laboratory Documentation – certifications of any lab that was used in the testing process.
13. Appearance Approval Report – verifies that the client approves of the initial appearance of the product.
14. Sample Production Parts – pictures of a sample product and storage information are sent to the customer.
15. Master Sample – final sample sent to and approved by the customer, which will typically be used to train inspection operators.
16. Checking Aids – list of any tools used in inspection along with their calibration schedule.
17. Customer Specific Requirements – list of any specific requirement the client has for the process.
18. Part Submission Warrant (PSW) – summary of the entire PPAP process including any deviations.
PPAP is a very intensive process and may seem quite daunting. This is why we will work with you hand-in-hand and guide you through the process. We care about you as our customer. Your standards are our standards. With this protocol in place, you can trust in your part’s functionality and durability. PPAP helps us at PTP Machining continue our reputation for delivering only the best for our customers.